Tuesday, October 20, 2015

5 Life Situation Songs We All Don’t Like Singing

LIFE is like a game of football. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Winning is exhilarating, but there’s not much learning that comes from winning all the time. Losing is much more of value in a life that’s about growth.
Growth emerges out of regret that we should’ve known better…
1.     Should’ve Known Better – Jim Diamond
Sentiment that hangs long after we’ve said our goodbyes is the regret that surpasses the moment. Times when our emotions lag seriously behind reality, when it takes us months if not years to catch up; times like these are lamentable. But only if we don’t capture the essence of this truth: the hardest lessons are rich with material for learning.
2.    If I Could Turn Back Time – Cher
If only we could turn back time. I find myself saying, “This time last week… if only I knew…,” but then there wouldn’t be the learning that comes from making such noteworthy mistakes. It’s understandable to wish to turn back time. We cannot help think like that in our regret.
3.    The Living Years – Mike and the Mechanics
If only we’d spent the time with a parent or a son or daughter that we could have. But time’s gone. Blessed be that final opportunity of reacquainting in eternity — that’s our hope. We implore God for that. But we also accept that what we feel now we hope is communicated to the other soul in the other realm. Another hope.
4.    Man In the Mirror – Michael Jackson
A seriously penitent song, Man In the Mirror, helps us know that true joy, hope, and peace emanate from the humble heart alive to his or her own truth. As we look into the mirror that is the reality of our own lives, as God or others perceive us, the truth kisses our perspective, and we have fresh impetus to grow.
5.    Cry Me a River – Julie London
There are times when we feel like we literally cry a river over a lost love. We’re desperately forlorn. That was me; when I lost my first love, my first marriage, and my first infatuation afterwards; three times I’ve felt that way — the middle one the worst by far. And still God journeyed faithfully with me even as I cried me a river.
***
Songs sing to our hearts, especially in troubled times. Songs glide down our emotions and enter the soul, where the song gives therapy and healing.
Music is a language that speaks through our emotions to penetrate the soul.
© 2015 Steve Wickham.

No comments:

Post a Comment