Thursday, December 16, 2010

Need a Doctor?

Possible definition of a Christian: A broken, faulty person who wishes to live more completely in the vision, or to the ideal, of the person of Jesus Christ, the Lord, mediator to the Father in heaven.

It was Jesus himself, who said,

“It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.”

~Matthew 9:12 (NIV, 2010).

We can be so astounded at how incomplete we are.

This is marked never more so than by a failure-of-a-day, as one of mine very recently quickly reminded me. I felt like a caged lion. Impatience and impetuosity were my suite and I lavished in them. Never too far away was Satan, to gently remind me just how far I was away from God’s will. Ever noticed that? The Accuser accusing...

Again, it’s not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

Periods and States of Sickness

I never quite could understand why some people could exist without a functional spirituality. I couldn’t. Like many, I’m glad to be more dependent on God so that I’m less dependent on other things.

We all have periods and states of relative spiritual, emotional and mental sickness. And though there are some people who seem to go merrily through life without needing to visit ‘the doctor’ there are many who do.

Praise God that we know we’re sick!

Commensurate with our willingness to be healed, we are. Attending as an out-patient we enter tremulously and we leave intact.

Never Ashamed

There is no shame in this sickness. It is, in fact, the human condition, and certainly it’s most evident in those of us who are afflicted in one way or the other. There’s no shame in that either. We accept who we are.

Those who appear as weak are found strong in the Lord. There is no incapacity beyond them because they don’t fight the inevitable without the help of the Lord.

There is wisdom in that. Sometimes we have to reach a rock-bottom to find our truest selves.

© 2010 S. J. Wickham.

No comments:

Post a Comment